- ½ pound butternut squash
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cups braising liquid (from ribs) with added salt to taste
- 1 medium-sized white onion, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- ¾ cup Arborio rice
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 4 Tbsp. Boursin cheese
- 1½ Tbsp. chopped fresh sage
- Preheat oven 450° F. Cut squash lengthwise and scoop out seeds. Season with salt, pepper and cumin, and toss with olive oil. Cover with foil and place on a shallow baking pan on the center rack of the oven. Bake about 50 minutes or until fork-tender. While still warm, place squash pieces in a blender and purée until smooth; add water if needed for processing.
- Start risotto by bringing seasoned water to a simmer in a large skillet and hold. In a medium-sized heavy-duty pot, cook onion in 1 Tbsp. butter until translucent. Add the rice and garlic, and stir for 3 minutes. Add one-third of the hot liquid and begin stirring. Repeat until the rice has absorbed all liquid and has creamy consistency; add the purée, cheese, butter and sage and season with salt and pepper.
Serve with Braised Short Ribs