- Kosher salt
- 12 ounces dried spaghetti
- ¼ pound pancetta or bacon, finely diced (about ¾ cup)
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 Tbsps minced garlic (about 4 big cloves)
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes, plus more to taste
- 2 tsps freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 1½ cups freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, plus more for serving
- 3 cups baby arugula
- In a large pot of heavily salted boiling water, cook the spaghetti to al dente. Reserve 1 cup of the pasta water, then drain the pasta.
- In a large skillet, cook the pancetta over medium-high heat until crisp, 7-9 minutes.
- Add the olive oil, then add the garlic, red pepper flakes, and black pepper and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the lemon juice to the skillet, then toss in the drained pasta and toss to coat.
- Add the Parmigiano and toss, adding pasta water, a little at a time, to help the cheese coat the pasta.
- Add the arugula and toss until it wilts, about 1 minute. Season to taste with additional salt, lots of black pepper, and red pepper flakes.
- Sprinkle additional Parmigiano on top and serve.